[gdal-dev] Vector geospatial data format for massive quantities of (poly)lines

Chris Hanson xenon at alphapixel.com
Mon Dec 9 12:24:01 PST 2013

  An application my client is pursuing involves generating and displaying
linework (contours) for state-sized areas. These will be (among other
things) displayed via Geoserver.

  We are able to generate the contour data with gdal, but the output is now
exceeding the 2GB format limit of Shapefiles.

  I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a format or other
strategy for handling large data like this? I think in the end we may end
up breaking it up into tiles, but figured I'd ask first.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. Xenon at AlphaPixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/