[gdal-dev] GDAL RPC protocol to make GDAL (more) failsafe

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Feb 6 11:29:28 PST 2013

Le mercredi 06 février 2013 18:57:46, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal a écrit :
> >> GDAL_API_RPC
> >> GDAL_API_PROXY
> >> GDAL_API_SERVER
>
> IIUC, the proposed functionality is not really a Remote Procedure
> Call, or a Proxy, or a SErver.
>
> i.e.  could the driver be run on a remote server with this mechanism?
>
> Rather, it is a way to run a driver in a  sub-process. So maybe:
>
> DGAL_SUBPROCESS
>
> or something like that?
>
> (Ignore this if I mis-understand what you've done here)

I've finally opted for GDAL_API_PROXY. A new page of documentation will be
linked from the Doxygen doc of GDALOpen(), GDALCreate() and GDALCreateCopy()

Chris, GDAL_SUBPROCESS matches indeed the current state of the implementation.
However, as I answered to Livneh, it could be moredately easy to extend it to
work with a real remote server, so I prefer to keep it generic with
GDAL_API_PROXY.