[gdal-dev] Multiple extensions in GDAL_DMD_EXTENSION ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Feb 20 07:10:43 PST 2013

On 20 February 2013 14:30, Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> One other use that extensions are used for is to make it easy for a
>> user to filter down files in a file browser to just one format.  I
>> can't think of any time I've found this useful.  But with GDAL there
>> are so many formats that these "list of formats" filter dohickyies are
>> usually completely unusable.
>
> Applications tend to have these, with ad-hoc rules for formats which
> use various extensions (e.g. the QGis raster open dialog). This would
> be simpler and more unified if extensions are reported by GDAL.

Please, stop there and let me paste Frank's "I find this practice abhorrent!".

Whoever comes up with an idea to directly drive his app GUI with a
library such as
GDAL should leave his desk, go fishing for as long as it takes him to come back
with solution on his app side.

Make JSON file with GDAL driver to extension mapping, and configure
your GUI based on that.
Flexibility will be way better. Maintenance will be none (GDAL does
not deliver new drivers every week).