[gdal-dev] gdalinfo and ogrinfo file formats

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 05:28:44 PST 2013

Hi all,

First I wish everybody a happy 2013!

With MapWindow GIS we're using gdal and ogr and we are now in the process
of include the functionality of the utility programs, like gdalinfo.exe,
ogrinfo.exe, gdal_translate.exe, ogr2ogr.exe, etc.

This functionality is added to our core C++ base called MapWinGIS. This
work is almost done.
We're now in the progress of creating C#/WinForms tools on top of these
functionality to be used in MapWindow. We are going to use *gdalinfo
--formats* and *gdalinfo --format the_format *to get the relevant data we
need to create for example a file open box. This works fine since the
extension can be retrieved from using the --format command.
For example *gdalinfo --format VRT *returns
VRT format: Format Details:
  Short Name: VRT
  Long Name: Virtual Raster
  Extension: vrt
  Help Topic: gdal_vrttut.html
  Supports: Create() - Create writeable dataset.
  Supports: CreateCopy() - Create dataset by copying another.
  Creation Datatypes: Byte Int16 UInt16 Int32 UInt32 Float32 Float64 CInt16
CInt32 CFloat32 CFloat64

The same we want to do for the ogr2org.
*--formats* will give us the available file formats but I can't find a
command that will give me the expected extension for the file format. I was
expecting something like *ogrinfo --format "ESRI Shapefile"* that would
return something like
ESRI Shapefile format: Format Details:
  Short Name: sf
  Long Name: ESRI Shapefile
  Extension: shp
  Help Topic: drv_shapefile.html

Am I missing something or isn't this available for ogr?

Thanks,

Paul

 *Paul Meems *
Release manager, configuration manager