[gdal-dev] which formats support subdatasets?

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:23:22 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Selon Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd just like to point out a patch I have submitted to report which
>> raster drivers support subdatasets, using the DMD_SUBDATASETS metadata
>> item.
>> I have also modified gdalinfo and format docs.
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4902
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> $ gdalinfo --format hdf4
>> Format Details:
>>   Short Name: HDF4
>>   Long Name: Hierarchical Data Format Release 4
>>   Extension: hdf
>>   Help Topic: frmt_hdf4.html
>>   Supports: Subdatasets
>>

> I've looked at the patch and it seems good. I'm not sure I would have added a
> new column in the table, but if you think it is usefull, keep it. It would
> perhaps be good to mention in gdal_datamodel.dox, in the SUBDATASETS section,
> that drivers that support them advertize the DMD_SUBDATASETS capability. And I
> think that swig/include/gdalconst.i should also be edited to add the new
> constant. After that please commit.

I though adding the info to frmt_various.html was the most
appropriate, but it is a bit intrusive. Should it be elsewhere, like
the individual driver docs or in gdal_datamodel?

I also though about adding an "s" key to the output of "--formats"
format support string e.g. (rw+vs)

I'll make the other changes you suggest.

> I'm not sure it is appropriate to backport in 1.9 however (new feature, output
> of gdalinfo --format modified). 1.10 should be out soon hopefully.

I also don't think it's appropriate adding this to 1.9