[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr - ESRI Shapefile: how to set SHPT?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Thu Jan 24 09:17:00 PST 2013

hi,

in the format manual for shapefile following mentioned:

[...]
SHPT=type: Override the type of shapefile created. Can be one of NULL for a
simple .dbf file with no .shp file, POINT, ARC, POLYGON or MULTIPOINT for
2D, or POINTZ, ARCZ, POLYGONZ or MULTIPOINTZ for 3D. Shapefiles with measure
values are not supported, nor are MULTIPATCH files.
[...]

my idea is to convert a MULTIPOINT shapefile to a POINT shapefile, but how
to set SHPT=POINT?

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -dsco SHPT=POINT output_POINT.shp
input_multipoint.shp
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -lco SHPT=POINT output_POINT.shp
input_multipoint.shp
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -nlt POINT output_POINT.shp input_multipoint.shp

?

e.g.
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -nlt POINT output_POINT3.shp
input_multipoint.shp
ERROR 1: Attempt to write non-point (MULTIPOINT) geometry to point
shapefile.
ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed translation of
layer input_multipoint (use -skipfailures to skip errors)

?

my environment is GDAL 1.9.2, released 2012/10/08 within the osgeo4w-stack
(windows7).

ogrinfo input_multipoint.shp
INFO: Open of `input_multipoint.shp'
      using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
1: appendjuli09 (Multi Point)

-----
best regards
Helmut