[gdal-dev] GDAL WMS questions...

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 30 15:49:03 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Carl Godkin <cgodkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Tiles
>
> I don't understand why or when I'd use a tiled vs. untiled request.  If I'm
> interested in a JPEG or PNG from a particular server covering a particular
> area in a particular coordinate system, why would I choose one over the
> other?

This really has nothing to do with GDAL (or any WMS source) per se --
it depends on how yo uwant o use the results.

Tiles are used for the google-maps-style (also used for many open
source web map systems: open layers, leaflet, etc) "slippy maps". In
general, tiles work really well if you have a map that covers a wide
area that you want people to be able to pan around on and/or have maps
that are slow to render, and don't change much.

But in short: if you want an image, you don't want tiles. If you are
using a tile-based map display system, you probably do want tiles.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov