[gdal-dev] gdalwarp to XYZ grid

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Wed Jul 3 07:17:14 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to warp a XYZ Grid to another CRS. My GDAL complains while
running:
gdalwarp -t_srs EPSG:3035 -of XYZ /tmp/tmpU7lQR2/in.xyz
/tmp/tmpU7lQR2/out.xyz
> Output driver `XYZ' not recognised or does not support
> direct output file creation.

and now I'm out of ideas and that's why:

I'm fiddling with SRTM scenes in order to create (automatically) nice
looking hillshades. One step in the process is to use mdenoise [1] for
smoothing the scene. mdenoise eats two file formats, ESRI ASCII Grid and
XYZ Grid. And they need to be in a projected CRS with meters as unit,
not in the default WGS84 SRTM "projection". Projecting raster data
(including the ASCII grid) back and forth into other CRS yield mixed
results in terms of quality since there are always distortions and anti
aliasing issues.

So I want to stick to the GRASS people's approach with r.denoise [2].
They make a XYZ grid, project that to a projected CRS, denoise and
reproject to the original CRS. And that's were I am stuck ... since I
don't want to use GRASS for that work.

Any ideas on how to project a XYZ grid to another CRS?

Frank

[1] http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/neil.mitchell/mdenoise/
[2]
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.denoise/r.denoise