[gdal-dev] A new ogr driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Jul 19 13:18:25 PDT 2013

Le vendredi 19 juillet 2013 03:31:12, Xian Chen a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to submit a new driver for accessing Walk files, a geospatial
> data format developed  by Walkinfo Tech. mainly for land surveying,
> evaluation, planning, checking and data analysis in China.
>
> Walkinfo Tech. is a China-based company founded since 1999, origignally
> focused on land surveying software research and development. Currently we
> have our own geographic information platform WalkGIS, as well as scores of
> GIS desktop, mobile products based on it, including WalkISurvey,
> WalkISurface, WalkCheck, WalkFu and so on. The company is also the largest
> strategic partner with Esri ArcGIS in China.
>
> The WalkGIS applications use GDAL/OGR as part of its base libaries. The
> purpose of developing the Walk driver on GDAL/OGR is to allow other GIS
> products such as ArcGIS to access our data more easily and conveniently.
>
> The driver I am working on is already able to get the information such as
> layers, features, geometries, and spatial references from Walk files. Can I
> get the permission to submit it to GDAL project and share it with other
> GDAL developers?

Hi Xian,

First, you should check with your employer that you can legally contribute
code to the GDAL/OGR project and submit it under the GDAL MIT/X licence. Check
the "Legal" section of http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc3_commiters  . If
this is the case, send an email to this mailing list where you will confirm it.

I also suggest that you read the developer guidelines at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc8_devguide and check that your code
conforms to (most of) them.

For OGR driver, I would also recommend that you test the driver with the
"test_ogrsf" utility (not compiled by default, but in a custom build, you can
"cd apps", and then "make test_ogrsf" / "nmake /f makefile.vc test_ogrsf.exe")
on sample files in your data format. This will run a few consistency test to
check assumptions that an OGR driver should met.

Then, you can attach an archive with the code to a Trac ticket (
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/newticket ), so that it can be reviewed.

Best regards,

Even

--