[gdal-dev] Using the OGR library with FileGDB driver

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:07:08 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying for the first time to use the OGR library to read ESRI FileGDB
(".gdb") databases and I think I must be doing something wrong.

I built GDAL 1.10.0 with VS2010 and (among other additions) the FileGDB_API
1.3 for VS2010 all on Win64.  Everything built cleanly but the OGR library
seems to be unable find layers in some .gdb data sets.

To take my own code out of the equation, I tried to list the layers in
various .gdb files from around the web using the version of "ogrinfo" built
along with the library.

All of example .gdb projects from the samples/data directory in the ESRI
FileGDB_API distribution work just fine as does some data from other
sources.

However, I find that a lot of .gdb data sets that I find on the web act as
if they have no layers.  (These are apparently up to date sites too, not
very old sites.)
In lots of cases, ogrinfo says just this:

>ogrinfo -al WA_wetlands.gdb
INFO: Open of `WA_wetlands.gdb'
      using driver `FileGDB' successful.

However, I know there are layers in the these files because ArcGIS Explorer
Desktop shows them just fine, but calls them "datasets."  The datasets,
however, are not quite the same as the layers listed by "ogrinfo" (in the
cases where ogrinfo shows something useful) so I'm wondering if I am
confused about the nomenclature or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I feel like I must be missing something
obvious. Thanks very much for any ideas,

carl