[gdal-dev] Reducing the size of a GeoTIFF file with significant blackfill

Peter Freimuth freimuth69 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:50:00 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have a 5 band, 16-bit orthorectified GeoTIFF from a satellite image that contains a significant amount of blackfill and has a file size of over 21GB. I would like to decrease the file size by eliminating or negating the blackfill. I have attempted to use the SPARSE_OK option in GDAL as such:

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co "BIGTIFF=YES" -co "SPARSE_OK=TRUE" -co "TILED=YES" input.tif output.tif

This has had no effect on the file size. Is my understanding of how SPARSE_OK works incorrect or is there a potential problem with the SPARSE_OK option? Is there a better way of reducing the file size? I have tried "COMPRESS=DEFLATE", which works, but then the product is veryyyy slow  loading into the viewing software.

Any hint or better solution is highly welcome.

Best Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Freimuth