[gdal-dev] Histograms without null pixels

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:49:27 PST 2013

Caleb,

gdalinfo uses the GetDefaultHistogram() method which can do this faster by
fetching a precomputed histogram.
gdalinfo is a command line program. Even a default histogram of 256 buckets
is hard to visualize in text mode. A much better way is to use a desktop
GIS like qgis to view the histogram.

Can you justify adding this extra functionality in gdalinfo?

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Caleb Hanger <cdhanger at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am writing a script which is calling gdalinfo to get a histogram of
> pixel values in an image file.  Apparently the mechanism for obtaining a
> "default" histogram enables the "bIncludeOutOfRange" flag to dump
> not-in-range pixels (including null pixels, in formats that support it)
> into whichever bin of the histogram is closest.  I see that in the
> GetHistogram() function, the functionality is already coded to respond
> appropriately to either a true *or* false value in this flag.  However, I
> can't seem to find any way to turn that flag off through any of the
> user-level programs (in particular, gdalinfo), rendering the parameter to
> the function useless, unless I'm just not looking hard enough.  Hence, my
> questions:
>
> 1) Is there any standard user-level operation (preferably in gdalinfo)
> which disables, or at least *allows* for disabling of, the
> bIncludeOutOfRange flag?  If so, I can't find it.
> 2) If not, how come?  Has there been no apparent need for histograms that
> omit null values or other "out of range" situations?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight,
> Caleb Hanger

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584