[gdal-dev] Mapinfo --> postgis db using ogr2ogr, failing to overwrite

Pete petern at pembrokeshirecoast.org.uk
Thu Mar 14 05:22:10 PDT 2013

Hi, Sorry to revive this post but I'm a non GIS type and have a similar
issue.

I'm trying to upload a mapinfo layer using WinSCP and Ogr2Ogr to work it's
magic to put it into the GeoStore, this via GeoServer ensures our Openlayers
map is up-to-date.

The trouble is that I get the exact same error IF the existing table being
overwritten has views based on it, otherwise the overwrite works fine.

The views go to make up the layers on the map that can be turned on/off.  I
really don't want to end up with a table for each of these !

Is this possible ?   is there a better way of doing it ?

*The command we’re using *
call ogr2ogr -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost user=pembs dbname=pembs
password=12345" ./WindTurbines.TAB  -nln public.windturbines -lco
OVERWRITE=YES -T_SRS EPSG:27700

*The Error we get*
failed with return code 1 and error message
ERROR 1: CREATE TABLE "public"."windturbines" ( OGC_FID SERIAL, CONSTRAINT
"windturbines_pk" PRIMARY KEY (OGC_FID) )
ERROR:  relation "windturbines" already exists
ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer WindTurbines (use -skipfailures to skip errors).

Appologies again that i'm not a GIS bod so hope my lack of understanding
doesn't confuse you!

Pete