[gdal-dev] import error on fedora?

Chao YUE chaoyuejoy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:18:16 PDT 2013

Dear all,

I use "yum install gdal"  to install gdal on fedora 16,
I can see all following commands in the terminal:

ychao at lsce3139:~$ gdal
gdaladdo        gdal_contour    gdalenhance     gdalinfo
gdal_rasterize  gdaltransform   gdalwarp
gdalbuildvrt    gdaldem         gdal_grid       gdalmanage
gdaltindex      gdal_translate

However when I tried to import gdal, I get import error:

In [1]: import gdal
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-1-27bf4694dd2b> in <module>()
----> 1 import gdal

ImportError: No module named gdal

In [2]: from osgeo import gdal
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-2-a04b80bf4e65> in <module>()
----> 1 from osgeo import gdal

ImportError: No module named osgeo

so what's going on here? thanks for any response.

best regards,

chao
Chao YUE
Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement (LSCE-IPSL)
UMR 1572 CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
Batiment 712 - Pe 119
91191 GIF Sur YVETTE Cedex
Tel: (33) 01 69 08 29 02; Fax:01.69.08.77.16