[gdal-dev] Unable to access GDAL_DATA directory on Android

Chris Lawrence chris_lawrence at partech.com
Thu May 2 14:46:22 PDT 2013

I am developing an Android-based GDAL application.  I have successfully
built GDAL v1.9.2 and the SWIG-based Java bindings using the
instructions provided on the building GDAL page.  I am able to register
the drivers and load a dataset in my application, however, I am unable
to initialize a SpatialReference using an EPSG code (4326).  I have
placed the contents of gdal/data at /sdcard/gdal on the device; I have
tried both gdal.SetConfigOption("GDAL_DATA", "/sdcard/gdal") as well as
gdal.PushFinderLocation("/sdcard/gdal").  If anyone has experience using
GDAL on Android and has encountered and resolved this situation
previously, your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-chris