[gdal-dev] GDAL Raster Attribute Tables.

Sam Gillingham gillingham.sam at gmail.com
Thu May 2 21:37:26 PDT 2013

Hi Even,

Another alternative that will have less impact on existing code and
behaviour may be to leave GetDefatultRAT and SetDefaultRAT as they are (ie
returning an in-memory representation of the attribute table -
GDALRasterAttributeTable). This means existing code can Clone() and
Serialize() etc.

We could then have another function on GDALRasterBand (eg GetRAT()) that
returns the virtual base class version ('GDALIORasterAttributeTable'), if
supported by the driver. We don't need a SetRAT() as the intention is that
all modifications to the returned object are written to disc. Applications
could call GetRAT() first to see if they can use the 'new' way, or drop
back to GetDefaultRAT if they can't (memory permitting).

GDALRasterAttributeTable doesn't need to be derived from
GDALIORasterAttributeTable (although it could be). We could have a way of
converting a GDALRasterAttributeTable to a GDALIORasterAttributeTable
(maybe an alternate constructor of GDALRasterAttributeTable).

Would this be a more acceptable proposal?

Sam.