[gdal-dev] Wrapping with SWIG

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu May 16 21:51:15 PDT 2013

On 05/17/2013 03:43 AM, Hank Finley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently trying to create a wrapper for a C API with SWIG for use
> in Java. The API is for an open source spatial database called Spatialite.
>
> This is causing a few headaches and I need some help.
>
> My first question is did the SWIG wrappers for GDAL get created
> in-house or was it a paid for project?

Hank,

AFAIK, there was no money involved, but some of those that initiated the
development are not any more involved - you can see their names in the
associated source files. Probably Howard is the most knowledgeable on
the overall matter from those on this list. However, he's probably not
the best source for Java specific things. I'm not sure who is the Swig
Java person at the moment. My knowledge is about Swig Perl.

> The second is there someone that could lend a hand?

I believe Swig provides tools for a bootstrap so you should be on your
way, but the question is how far? Are you dealing with a specific issue
or more general issue? Did you try the Swig list? I've asked a couple of
questions on that some (long) time ago.

Best regards,

Ari