[gdal-dev] gdal_translate file naming for sds and HDF4 files

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:28:14 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Greenberg <jgrn at illinois.edu>wrote:

> Thanks -- I did notice it was an earlier version (switching to the latest
> OSGeo4W), I apologize for not checking the latest, but as Etienne
> confirmed, the bug seems to be there in the latest as well.  The HDF files
> from various sources are so odd when it comes to naming layers, that this
> SDS argument is really helpful (if it would name the files correctly).
>
> Speaking of -sds --> perhaps I can request that gdal_translate allow for a
> layer # flag rather than the full layer name for subdataset files?  Is this
> relatively easy to implement (since gdalinfo seems to already have the
> capability)?

that depends on the driver actually... for hdf4 files normal syntax uses
number, whereas the netcdf driver uses variable name (which is more
informative). Changing this behaviour involves tweaking the driver code,
not gdal_translate.

e.g.
SUBDATASET_1_NAME=HDF4_SDS:MODIS_L1B:GSUB1.A2001124.0855.003.200219309451.hdf:0

SUBDATASET_1_NAME=NETCDF:"sst.nc":lon_bnds

Now perhaps you mean to select a single dataset by number, without the full
SUBDATASET_X_NAME syntax ?

such as
gdalinfo -subdatset 1 file.hdf

which would be equivalent to
gdalinfo HDF4_SDS:file.hdf:0

that would be marginally handy, but not much as the rest of gdal uses the
driver:file:subdataset syntax.

> --j
>

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Jukka Rahkonen <
>> jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:

>>> output
>>> file to "myoutput.tif", it appends the "layer numbers" to the end of the
>>> file, e.g. myoutput.tif1.  Any tricks to getting the naming working
>>> properly
>>> (myoutput1.tif would be what I'd expect)?
>>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> First, acquire more fresh GDAL, current version is 1.10. Use OSGeo4W or
>>> download Windows binaries from http://gisinternals.com/sdk/
>>>

>>  actually the same thing happens with gdal-1.10. I will prepare a bug
>> report and fix.
>>

>>> Then, perhaps you should use gdalinfo first for seeing the exact names of
>>> layers as GDAL understands them and use such a layer name as input
>>> instead
>>> of [some.hdf]. Read usage examples from