[gdal-dev] Skipping PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR when not reasonable

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Nov 1 07:40:34 PDT 2013

Jukka,

It is difficult to guess if the option specified by the user is something that he
wants absolutely to be honoured (and in case it is not possible, an error is
expected), or if it is just a hint that can be ignored if necessary. So the
current behaviour seems OK to me.

Your script could just test the return code of gdal_translate and, in case of
error, try again without -co PHOTOMETRYC=YCBCR. Or check before if the input
dataset is 3 bands or not.

Even

> Hi,
>
> Gdal_translate throws
> ERROR 6: PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR requires a source raster with only 3 bands (RGB)
> if user tries to apply YCBCR to non-RGB image. It means that when I have a
> mixture of RGB and B/W images I must separate them before making batch
> jobs.
>
> I think that nothing bad would happen if gdal_translate in such case just
> throws a warning and continues by compressing black and white image with
> the default photometric settings.
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Geospatial professional services