[gdal-dev] Locked files under Windows

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Nov 5 11:10:56 PST 2013

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Even Rouault wrote:

>> Even,
>>
>> Thanks as always for getting back quickly! Yes, the relevant code is (line
>> 475 in rgdal/src/gdal-bindings.cpp):
>>
>>    GDALDataset *pDataset =
>>      (GDALDataset *) R_ExternalPtrAddr(sxpHandle);
>>
>>    if (pDataset == NULL) return(R_NilValue);
>>
>>    installErrorHandler();
>>
>>    GDALDriver *pDriver = pDataset->GetDriver();
>>
>>    const char *filename = pDataset->GetDescription();
>>
>>    GDALDeleteDataset((GDALDriverH) pDriver, filename);
>>
>>    R_ClearExternalPtr(sxpHandle);
>>
>>    uninstallErrorHandlerAndTriggerError();
>>
>> but after this is run, the file remains open. Is GDALDeleteDataset()
>> inappropriate? Should we say GDALClose((GDALDatasetH)pDataset); first; you
>> suggested this instead of pDataset->~GDALDataset(); last year? The file
>> pointers are inside the Dataset objects, so obviously they should be
>> closed. We have tried putting things in various orders, without success so
>> far, I'm afraid.
>
> GDALDeleteDataset() doesn't take the dataset object as a parameter, so it will
> not delete it for you (in the C++ sense of delete... The naming of functions
> is a bit confusing admitedly)
>
> Yes, you need to call GDALClose() before GDALDeleteDataset(), and make sure
> that the handle to the dataset is no used afterwards of course. I mention that
> because I'm not sure what R_ClearExternalPtr() does.

Right - I've been trying this based on your first reply, which put me "on
track". I think that we have assumed that GDALDeleteDataset() took an open
dataset and deleted it, closing, freeing and unlinking combined. It makes
sense, though, to close first after having stored the arguments to
GDALDeleteDataset(). The R_ClearExternalPtr() function clears the internal
object in R in which external pointers are stored, so would zombie the
dataset if applied too early. Initial tests on Linux and Windows are
promising ...

Thanks again,

Roger

--