[gdal-dev] Create PNG / TIFF with referenced KML/KMZ file from non regular X, Y, Z data

JSz james at agritech.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 04:07:42 PST 2013

Good morning all,

I wish to use the OGR tools to create an interpolated image which is trimmed
to a boundary provided.

The boundary is currently in X,Y in a mySQL database

The X,Y,Z data is in a CSV

So I have started on the route of using GDAL_GRID to initially rasterize my
data with the VRT file :

<OGRVRTDataSource>
<OGRVRTLayer name="data">
<SrcDataSource>data.csv</SrcDataSource>
<GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
<LayerSRS>WGS84</LayerSRS>
<GeometryField separator=" " encoding="PointFromColumns" x="lat" y="lon"
z="alt"/>
</OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

and the command line :

gdal_grid -ot byte -of BMP -zfield alt -l data dem.vrt test_data.bmp

I had to set to byte and BMP as thats the only format that would output
something which has variable data, everything else was either a white image
or black image.

So now I have a grey scale image with 'some' variation in it which is
expanded to the extremities of my data ( which is currently oritentated
wrong by I'm sure I can correct with translate) , I would like to now build
upon this to create a custom colour palette ( red through to green ) and
trim the whole lot to either the outside of the point data or ability to
specify a boundary to clip to.

So what I'm really asking :

How do I apply a 'pretty' color scheme
How do I do trim the image to my boundary

Many thanks

James