[gdal-dev] RFC 44: JSON/XML output for ogrinfo/gdalinfo

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 11:43:42 PST 2013

I'm not sure as to the purposed utility of the gdalinfo -vrt conversion approach.  It may very well be valid, I spend most of my time with vector data and can't take a position one way or the other.  Even so, I think having a script friendly output format for ogrinfo is very useful.  When Howard and I chatted about it, I started getting visions of a massive metadata site generating itself with not more than a couple of command line scripts.  These may be delusions of grandeur but this modification would overcome a first-line obstacle to making it a reality.

I too have some concern about maintaining three different formats.  I was actually inclined to generate an intermediate format that would then go to XML or JSON but the XML version came together rather cleanly in a few hours so I didn't go down that path.  The proof of concept came together far enough that we thought it prudent to get the ideas formally put into an RFC.

Multiple formats comes with the required multiple format maintenance penalty.  Sticking with XML minimizes some complications because MiniXML is always be available during a build and it keeps the code a little cleaner.  That said, JSON is currently the sexy format, and all the cool kids are doing it. (All technical arguments about JSON aside...) If we conceded to just supporting one additional output format, I would really like to see the XML output further refined.

ogrinfo and gdalinfo as they currently exist are a large collection of printf statements in the main function.  I logically removed the diagnostic messages (putting them on stderr) and ensured the intended content was separated into two different formatting functions.  The functions are currently responsible for doing their own output to stdout as to prevent the need to completely rewrite the standard output format.

Sorry, for not including an example of the XML sample.  I can certainly generate something as necessary.  The version I have in the proposed code works but can easily be changed in order to meet the needs and preferences to the project at large.