[gdal-dev] cannot read grib1 file, expect PV=255

zvanaz giovanni.leoncini at aspen-re.com
Wed Nov 27 02:50:35 PST 2013

Hello,

when I try to read a specific grib1 file with readGDAL I get this error:
Error in .local(.Object, ...) :
>>  file.grb is a grib file, but no raster dataset was successfully
>> identified.

digging a bit further (Roger, thanks for this!):

gdalinfo --debug on file.grb

I see:

Warning: Inside GRIB2Inventory, Message # 50
ERROR: Couldn't find 'GRIB' or 'TDLP'
There were 6 trailing bytes in the file.
Un-handled possible ensemble section center 78 subcenter 255
GRIB: Problems with ReadGrib1Record called by ReadGrib2Record Inside
ReadGrib1Record
GRIB1 GDS: Expect PV = 255 != 43

is there any update on this? or maybe a workaround? sounds like this error
is not uncommon.

any help or hint would be appreciated!
thanks in advance
Giovanni