[gdal-dev] How to get GDAL

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Nov 27 12:30:45 PST 2013

Am 27.11.2013 17:02, schrieb Jonathan Moules:

> To date I've tried:
> http://gisinternals.com/SDK/P
>   - But there are far too many options and I can never be sure I'm getting
> the right thing (the page assumes a significant level of knowledge about
> what package is what). In the end I just go with -
> http://gisinternals.com/SDK/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-x64-gdal-1-10-mapserver-6-4.zip

should be a good choice.

>   - From there I've tried both the msi (plus python bindings extra) and the
> zip "Compiled binaries in a single .zip package"- both work for the
> pure-GDAL stuff (gdalinfo) but none of the python scripts works (i.e.
> gdal_merge.py).

I prefer the zip version, expand it to a folder of my choice, and run
the SDKshell.bat. In the command window I can do the things I want to do
in GDAL, without any interfering of other programms, even not from QGIS.
Inside the shell, all varaibles are set correctly, and therefore all
python modules run too.
And it is no problem installing an experimental new GDAL version and
keeping the old one in parallel.

> ====
> I found FWTools - http://fwtools.maptools.org/ - except that it seems to be
> an outdated version of GDAL so I'm hitting some GDAL bugs there that I
> think are since fixed.

True. For get it.

> ====
> The QGIS version comes with all manner of environmental variable issues
> that stop it from working stand-alone for me.

Same as gisinternals: You get an OSGEo4w shell icon, and inside that do
what you want at command level. That works with standalone and OSGeo4W
installer. Inside the shell, the environmental variables are set correctly.

HTH,
André Joost