[gdal-dev] LAS support

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Nov 28 06:09:42 PST 2013

On 28 November 2013 13:56, Rui L. Pires <rlpires at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 November 2013 11:03, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>> On 28 November 2013 09:51, Rui L. Pires <rlpires at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Would there be any particular reason for not supporting it?
>>
>> Point cloud is not a vector, not a raster either? :-)
>

> That might be debatable, but it won't be me reopening that discussion.
> Having said that, if you could assure me that all formats supported in
> http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html are vector formats, I would have
> understood your point (of not offering a LAS driver).

Rui,

I intentionally put question mark to indicate it's open question for me as well.
The nature of LiDAR data might be confusing and I'm interested to
learn more about it.
Dale Lutz said, "point cloud is a badly behaved raster".
I (used to) say, it's not a vector.
But I still haven't found clear answer "what is it" really :)

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net