[gdal-dev] LAS support

Rui L. Pires rlpires at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 02:32:32 PST 2013

On 28 November 2013 15:09, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> On 28 November 2013 13:56, Rui L. Pires <rlpires at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Point cloud is not a vector, not a raster either? :-)
> >
> > That might be debatable, but it won't be me reopening that discussion.
> > Having said that, if you could assure me that all formats supported in
> > http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html are vector formats, I would
> have
> > understood your point (of not offering a LAS driver).
>
> I intentionally put question mark to indicate it's open question for me as
> well.
> The nature of LiDAR data might be confusing and I'm interested to
> learn more about it.
> Dale Lutz said, "point cloud is a badly behaved raster".
> I (used to) say, it's not a vector.
> But I still haven't found clear answer "what is it" really :)

It's interesting you mention LiDAR, but I would like to stick to point
cloud, or point data set if you will.

I was approaching this issue and particularly OGR as a solution for data
conversion and reduction. I am quite fond of the functionality OGRLayer
makes possible in a transparent way, such as reprojection and spatial
querying.

But I will have to agree this functionality may already exist elsewhere and
as such there might reduced interest in offering it within the OGR API that
I am so fond of. Fair enough.

Regards,
Rui