[gdal-dev] Call for discussion for "RFC 43 GDALMajorObject::GetMetadataDomainList()"

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Oct 20 05:21:03 PDT 2013

Le dimanche 20 octobre 2013 11:38:24, xavier lhomme a écrit :
> Hi
>   Is there a way to export Metadata in a XML form (ISO 19139 XML
> implementation of ISO 19115 ) ?

Xavier,

This is clearly out of the scope of this RFC.

Apart from a few basic items ( raster dimensions, tiling, geotransform/GCP,
SRS ), GDAL drivers currently expose metadata as close as possible as the way
they are encoded in the format they deal with (and GDAL probably predates the
current metadata standards). By searching a bit, I've found a few projects
(but I haven't actually tried them) that would expose GDAL metadata in
standard ways :
  * a QGIS plugin : MetaTools . https://github.com/nextgis/metatools
  * MetaGETA : Python scripts  . https://code.google.com/p/metageta/
  * Metadata crawler of Geonetwork .
http://trac.osgeo.org/geonetwork/wiki/crawler
  * ...

MetaGETA seems interesting since it has specialized code for different GDAL
drivers to extract particular metadata items, in addition to the standard
metadata.

As far as if this would be interesting to have in GDAL itself, this is an open
question. I'm not very well versed in metadata standards, but my impression is
that there are many of them (ISO 19139, that seems to have had several
versions, and that can have custom profiles apparently, FGDC, ...), and we
probably wouldn't want to have to implement all of them in each driver.

(Annectodicaly GDAL is a consumer of ISO 19115 in the BAG driver, to extract
georeferencing.)

I'm also wondering to which extent it is possible to generate valid XML
metadata documents in an automated way, from the information found in the
dataset. I'm thinking particularly to mandatory metadata items whose content
couldn't be found in the dataset.

Even