[gdal-dev] Support of filemapping for fast rendering in QGIS...

A Huarte ahuarte47 at yahoo.es
Tue Oct 22 03:13:29 PDT 2013

Hi, I want improve the rendering of vector features in QGIS.

I have opened a new branch of code in the repository of QGIS(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/927 // https://github.com/ahuarte47/QGIS/tree/Issue_8725-OGR) and the drawing tests give me ~3x faster that original code :-)

I am testing with huge shapefiles (>500.000 records) and I have detect that the OGR-shapefile provider would be optimized using filemapping (boost <http://www.boost.org/>, or others...)

I wonder if there is any support for FileMapping in gdal or planned. My intention would be to redefine the access to the files in this provider with a new function with "SAHooks" using FileMapping. I provide, as explanation, an unfinished implementation using boost with which greatly speeds up the read of files for critical, massive and repetitive processes such as the painting in a map.

On the other hand, this provider may also accelerate with some small changes that are pending of review in the ticket (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5272) that I hope will be evaluated.

thank you very much!