[gdal-dev] Call for discussion for "RFC 43 GDALMajorObject::GetMetadataDomainList()"

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Oct 23 07:29:14 PDT 2013

Kurt,

> I have been trying to think through how an OGR driver for ISO19115 /  19139
> would work.

Do you mean a driver that would read (and/or write) ISO 19139 XML files ? Do
such documents fit (enough) well with the OGR data model ? Is there a concept
of record/feature ? I'm unfortunately not familiar with what those documents
look like.

> I'm going to work on a band aid to the new BAG tweak to their
> ISO metadata, but we definitely could use a bare driver for read / write.

Not sure to understand your need about BAG. There is already a "xml:BAG"
metadata domain into which the ISO19115 stuff is dumped. So your need would be
an API to parse the XML ? There are perhaps good ideas in the various projects
that revolve around CSW.

> The quest boils down to what is the minimal set of things that we should
> aim for and how tolerant of craziness should we cope with.  I've seen some
> "interesting" things passed off as ISO metadata.  As a start to this, I'm
> going to start trying to collect a range of sample files.  The timing is
> pretty good in that there is a discussion of FGDC to ISO conversion on the
> IOOS Data Management and Communications (DMAC) steering committee mailing
> list.

Even

--
Geospatial professional services