[gdal-dev] Satellite projections

Jerl Simpson jsimpson at wxtrends.com
Mon Oct 28 08:17:06 PDT 2013

Hi guys:

I have a few data sets that come from the GOES satellites (Full Disk) and a
couple others.  I can use one of the SSEC's programs to convert from their
format to a netCDF.  No useful SRS info comes along in the conversion.

I've applied an SRS to them using gdal_translate and PROJ.4 that looks like:

"+proj=ortho +lon_0=-79.8 +lat_0=.208"  (lon/lat is the position of one of
the satellites)

(I've also tried):
+proj=ortho +datum=WGS84 +ellps=WGS84 +lon_0=-79.8 +lat_0=.208

I'm wanting to get them into EPSG:4326.  When I do this, I end up with
corner coordinates of a very small area just below the satellites position.

Does anyone have an suggestions that might help me warp this into
position?  I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm missing.
I found this page, and the copied/pasted bit about the projection, but my
attempts have not been successful.

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_msg.html
*Georeference and Projection*
*
*
*The images are using the Geostationary Satellite View projection. Most GIS
packages don't recognize this projection (we only know of ILWIS that does
have this projection), but gdalwarp.exe can be used to re-project the
images.*
*
*
Thanks!