[gdal-dev] Fwd: GPKG Driver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Oct 28 12:05:59 PDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:

> Now my turn for questions :
> - From your questions, I suppose you only consider the vector side of GPKG ?

Yes, that's my initial target.  Any comments/ideas on how to share
functionality between GDAL and OGR drivers, since presumably
eventually the gpkg support will end up with one of each.

> - Do you intend in writing everything from scratch, or did you consider using
> https://bitbucket.org/luciad/libgpkg ?  Which is, AFAIK, the equivalent of
> libspatialite for GPKG. Contains the SQL functions mandated by the spec, the
> triggers etc.

I think most of the storage/retrieval stuff is going to be from
scratch. The more operational stuff, like rtree index bindings and so
on, could/should lean on the luciad code (though I don't actually see
those mentioned). I'm loath to add a build dependency, but perhaps
copying the tree into the driver would be acceptable? (Except it's a
cmake project, and gdal is not, hm)

What was your thought?