[gdal-dev] Change of DECIMAL_PRECISION in AAIGrid

Casper Børgesen (CABO) CABO at NIRAS.DK
Mon Sep 2 04:30:21 PDT 2013

Hi Peifer.

Thank you for your comments. They do explain more in depth what is happening. But as seen in your first example, the value 333.123456 is reduced to 300 while the value 0.00012345 is reduced to 0.0001. I think this is a big change in the relative values of each number.

I am curious to know if the "new" implementation in GDAL 1.10 is actually what is wanted/expected?

I use the DECIMAL_PRECISION for rounding purposes to control how many digits I want to the right of the comma, not how many digits I want to use for the entire number.
I know I get a lot of zeros if I use DECIMAL_PRECISION=10 in GDAL 1.9.2 but I retain my precision.

In GDAL 1.10 I have to determine the number of digits to the left of the comma used by the largest number in my data set, add the number of digits I want to have to the right of the comma and use that value as DECIMAL_PRECISION. The result must be that I get a lot of (waste) digits to the right of the comma for small numbers and the expected result for large numbers. But isn't this similar to what the patch (mentioned ealier) wanted to avoid? :

> The AAIGrid float format string is "%6.20g"
> Firstly, the 6 doesn't really add anything, and when writing small integers it causes them to be space-padded, which is a waste of bytes.
> At present AAIGrid supports "-co DECIMAL_PRECISION=10" which changes the formatstring to "%.10f".
> This is a little inconsistent, and the %f causes integers to be written as "9.000000000" which is a horrible waste of bytes.

I could write my own GeoTIFF to AAIGrid exporter, but I don't believe that should be necessary :)

Kind regards, Casper