[gdal-dev] Weird issue when running gdaltranslate

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Apr 1 05:35:04 PDT 2014

Selon "Newcomb, Doug" <doug_newcomb at fws.gov>:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Even Rouault
> <even.rouault at mines-paris.org>wrote:
>
> > Moses,
> >
> > Hum, your VRT is 2147483647 x 2147483647 large, which is the largest
> > possible
> > raster that GDAL can handle in theory ! Something must have gone seriously
> > wrong
> >
> > That would be more than enough pixel range to cover the earth with 15cm
> resolution imagery.  Glad to know gdal scales that far!

But I think that for GDAL 2.0, it could be wise to upgrade to 64 bit integers to
express image dimensions and windows, for example to cover the case of a WMS or
WMTS server with potential world extent at medium resolution, and very high
resolution in some areas with < 15 cm accuracy, which is no longer something
theoretical.
We would have issues for now with the current design of the block cache due to a
really high number of potential blocks in such a huge raster, but that's an
internal detail, and I think Tamas had a patch to improve that.