[gdal-dev] Questions about building 1.11.0beta1 on Windows

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:11:02 PDT 2014

Hi,

I tried out 1.11.0beta1 yesterday and today and everything I have tried
seems fine to me on Win64.

I have two small questions:

1. I really like the change in the Windows build procedure that introduces
the "nmake.local" include in which I can put many of my growing collection
of local edits.  I say "many" instead of "all" because I don't see how to
effectively "comment out" a makefile variable using the nmake.local method.

For instance, I want to build without ODBC support.  The nmake.opt file
contains the instruction

# Comment out the following to disable ODBC support.
ODBC_SUPPORTED = 1

Can anyone think of a way to undo the ODBC_SUPPORTED definition
(on by default) from nmake.local?  The variable is later checked in three
places with "!IFDEF ODBC_SUPPORTED" so changing its value won't work, not
to mention that the nmake.local inclusion comes before ODBC_SUPPORTED
definition.

2. When building on Win64, I always notice lots of warnings (C4244 and
C4267) that arise because of implicit conversions from (say) size_t to int.
 I was wondering why many open source projects (including GDAL) don't seem
to fix these - is it because the necessary casts make the code less
readable in someone's opinion?  Or is it just because no one has gotten
around to it?  If it's the latter, I would be willing to submit a ticket
with some patches.  It seems a pity to build with /W4 but put up with so
many warnings.

Thanks,

carl