[gdal-dev] shapefile enhancements

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:33:28 PDT 2014

Hello Jan,

On a related note: for the Fedora package which I maintain, I've also
added a number of out of tree patches: mainly backporting the
improvements from the version bundled in gdal as well as replacing the
buildsystem with an autotools one, to allow easy mingw
cross-compilation. My patches can be found here:
https://github.com/manisandro/shapelib, the changes are in the autotools
and gdal branches. I wrote to Frank a while back enquiring as to what
his intentions with shapelib were, unfortunately I didn't get any reply
to date. I'd definitely be interested in seeing shapelib continuing its
life outside of gdal (since for some projects, pulling in the entire
gdal is excessive), so if you are also interested in continuing the
development of shapelib (and maybe have better luck than I on getting
Franks opinions, or at least blessing on releasing a new shapelib), I'd
be happy to help.

Best,
Sandro