[gdal-dev] GDAL vsicurl with query string

JDzialo John JDzialo at edrnet.com
Fri Aug 22 15:13:21 PDT 2014

Hi All,

This is my first post so forgive my noobiness...

We are running a cropping tool that used to access data from a local hard drive and crop images.

Now we want to use s3 as our storage in aws and want to access files through http requests.  Great!  Enter vsicurl.

So when we open our s3 bucket to the world we can easily access our tif images from s3 with a straight url.  For example...

https://test-bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/test/key/value/string/object.tif

This works well using the gdalinfo vsicurl cmd...

gdalinfo /vsicurl/https://test-bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/test/key/value/string/object.tif

However in s3 it is not secure to allow access to everyone on the internet and would rather use a presigned URL that uses a query string to authenticate access to the object.

When sending a request with a query string vsicurl and gdal appear to breakdown and I'm not sure why.

gdalinfo /vsicurl/https://test-bucket.s3.amazonaws.com/test/key/value/string/object.tif?Signature=sdlfkj88345r9&Expires=12300000&AWSAccessKeyID=AKIALKSDJFOILIKJFVOSIDF

Fails saying it's unable to open the file.

Is there a specific way to pass the query string to the VSIL API like when using curl with the -d switch?  Any way to run vsicurl with a query string or something I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!

John Dzialo | Linux System Administrator
Direct 203.783.8163 | Main 800.352.0050

Environmental Data Resources, Inc.
440 Wheelers Farms Road, Milford, CT 06461
www.edrnet.com<http://www.edrnet.com/> | commonground.edrnet.com<http://commonground.edrnet.com/>