[gdal-dev] Update of EPSG database to v8.4

Hare, Trent thare at usgs.gov
Fri Dec 5 06:43:48 PST 2014

Even,
   I agree we can probably purge the duplication. This was introduced
because I couldn't find a method to designate "ographic" latitudes versus
"ocentric" latitude systems within the WKT standard (still not clear on
that). Thus *even values* (e.g. 49900 Mars) are ocentric and *odd
values* (49901
Mars) are ographic... Argh - the original "proposal
<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/1931.pdf>" is almost 10
years old but *any feedback* is still welcome.

   There are a few bodies that need updates in that list. In short, when a
body is defined as tri-axial, the IAU determines a best fit single
spherical value (unfortunately this is not just the average of the three
but can be different for each. Thus I have to manually pull the radius
value from a published paper
<http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/groups/IAU-WGCCRE>). I have been meaning to
do that for sometime but since they are generally minor bodies, which we
don't have much data for, there wasn't much pressure in getting it done.

*Let me take a stab at "version 2" over the weekend*. These were based on
the IAU 2000 NAIF codes and IAU 2000 published report. I will tweak, where
needed, the "IAU2000" codes since those codes are being used in some
WMS/WCS servers, spatial ref, QGIS, etc. there are some which so now be
tagged IAU2009 (or 2012, e.g. Mercury was recently updated). Not sure using
that method, updated namespace based on the year, was the best idea either.

Just in case, the very simple script to convert Naif to WKT codes still
lives here: ftp://pdsimage2.wr.usgs.gov/pub/pigpen/ogc/ (but as stated
above, this original code doesn't fully address the tri-axial issue yet).

thanks for continuing to help with this!

Regards,
Trent