[gdal-dev] Can't get gdal_rasterize to work... with anything.

Karen Pease meme at eaku.net
Sat Dec 13 10:07:37 PST 2014

Okay, so, I think this may be getting me a bit closer to a solution.

The output image of your command still wasn't viewable to me, either in
gimp or gwenview. However, when I used ImageMagick to convert it to a
PNG or other format, for the first time I saw some detail, so I guess
it's a tif format that the former two can't read. I tried this approach
on the actual dataset I want to use - IS50V_HAEDARGOGN_24122013_ISN2004.
And indeed, the two stage process worked - to get height lines. But what
I actually want is a 3d height map image, where dark colors are low and
bright colors are high and so forth. So I switched from -burn 1 to the
-3d flag. Now it started outputting 64 bit float files, however; convert
couldn't handle them, nor tifftopnm. So I went back to specifying -ot
Byte or -ot UInt16 so I can use convert. However, the images just come
out all black. This is the same result I get if output directly to pnm
with -of PNM.

	- kv, Karen