[gdal-dev] gdal trunk compatibility

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue Dec 16 02:06:14 PST 2014

Folks,

I'd like to use gdal-trunk (e.g. 2.0) for all the new features and
improvements, but I wonder about its compatibility with other software.
Is gdal 2.0 supposed to work transparently with libraries/programs that
used to link against gdal 1.11, e.g. qgis, postgis, etc.?

Reason I ask is I get a configure error with postgis trying to find gdal:

RASTER: Raster support requested
checking for gdal-config... /usr/local/bin/gdal-config
checking GDAL version... 2.0.0
checking for OGR enabled... yes
checking gdal.h usability... yes
checking gdal.h presence... yes
checking for gdal.h... yes
checking ogr_api.h usability... yes
checking ogr_api.h presence... yes
checking for ogr_api.h... yes
checking cpl_conv.h usability... yes
checking cpl_conv.h presence... yes
checking for cpl_conv.h... yes
checking for library containing GDALAllRegister... no
configure: error: could not find GDAL

the last line ("checking for library containing GDALAllRegister...")
takes a long time and then fails...

Thanks,
Vincent.