[gdal-dev] Maximum compression parameters

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Dec 17 07:42:18 PST 2014

Simen Langseth <simlangen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear GDAL developers:I want to compress 32bit Geotiff file with maximum
compression method available with out lossing data. What are the best
parameters?['COMPRESS=LZW', 'PREDICTOR=3']Please suggest me.Simen

Hi Simen,

It depends so much on the data you have that you can get the best, fastest
and most reliable answer by doing a series of tests with different
parameters. And do not believe that you could find any useful information
from the internet. Of course you can make a survey once your own results are
ready.

Please report your results here and remember to add some info about your
data as well as all the parameters you used.

Lossless JPEG2000 might give good results also.

-Jukka Rahkonen-