[gdal-dev] suggestion for faster overviews building

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Tue Feb 4 06:58:36 PST 2014

Hi there.

I am again in the course of creating overviews using gdaladdo and can't help feeling this could be faster...

Gdalwarp is much faster when resampling an image. You can use -multi and tune memory usage.

So why can't gdaladdo? Ok, lets just assume this is a fact of life we have to deal with...

How about using gdalwarp to create our resampled images one at a time (which we can do several in parallel) and using them as overviews? Can this be done?

Is there a way to merge de resampled images into an .ovr? Or maybe reference the resampled images in a vrt and have them used as overviews?

Appreciate any ideas on this.

Thanks.
Duarte

Duarte Carreira
Diretor | Dep. Informa??o Geogr?fica e Cartografia

www.edia.pt<http://www.edia.pt>
www.alqueva.com.pt<http://www.alqueva.com.pt>
Tel. +351 284315100

[http://www.edia.pt/edia/images/edia_logo2.gif]<http://www.edia.pt>