[gdal-dev] How Can I gdalwarp From One Image to a Larger Spatial Area While Leaving Missing Data Blank in the Destination?

Peter Willis pwillis at aslenv.com
Tue Feb 4 15:23:41 PST 2014

Hello,

Sorry about the title but it's a bit of a bear finding answers if the
headers don't show the actual topic.
But I digress.

My Issue:
I have an input image that covers coordinates 0,0 to 450,350 UTM zone 13
North and the pixel size is 1 meter.

I want to mosaic pixels 0,0 to 25,25 into a coverage of UTM coordinates
-25,-25 : 25, 25 at the output in 1 meter pixels.
This should show a 25x25 square portion of the image in one corner of the
50x50 output image.

'gdal_translate' will not do this because  -25,-25  are outside the bounds
of the original image.

I have tried the following with gdalwarp:

gdalwarp -overwrite -te -25 -25 25 25 -tr 1 1  ./input.tif ./output.tif

This does not work. I get the following error:

ERROR 1: Unable to compute a transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates for ./input.tif.
There is no affine transformation and no GCPs.

There is geography applied to the input file.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any help.

Peter