[gdal-dev] processing map styles with OGR tools

Kay F. Jahnke _kfj at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 02:10:51 PST 2014

Hi group!

I'm working on a large corpus of historical map data (the CTRN of the
Piedmont Region in Italy). To visualize the data (shapefiles) I have
created QGIS style files. Later I wrote style files to make the data
into a GPS map using mkgmap. Currently I am setting up geoserver to
serve the data as a WMS layer. So obviously I have to write yet another
set of style files. I'm getting tired of this and I wish I could just
translate style files from one format to another. QGIS now offers to
store it's styles as SLD, but so far I've had limited success in using
the SLD files made that way in geoserver; they seem to be to QGISish and
would need a fair bit of editing.

When browsing the OGR website, I noticed there was a section

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html

This sounds more like a proposal and hasn't been edited since 2011, but
the idea is, of course, attractive. Is there any concrete code or are
there any tools along these lines? Or are there tools from other sources
for the purpose?

with regards
Kay F. Jahnke