[gdal-dev] Problems compressing tiff files

Rafael Krucker rkrucker at hsr.ch
Mon Feb 10 07:41:11 PST 2014

Hello all

I'm currently trying to do the following, using gdal:

1) Combining some tifs into one using gdal_merge, COMPRESS=LZW
2) Using gdalwarp with cutline to cut out a certain piece of the result
3) Compressing again using gdalwarp, COMPRESS=LZW
4) Generating pyramids with gdaladdo

However, my resulting Tiff is still very big, which hinders performance
greatly in later steps of my workflow. I suspect that some compressions
don't function properly, but I'm not being notified of such happenings
if occuring.

For instance, applying these steps on five tiffs each no bigger than 1.5
MB results in a tiff of 12 GB size.

Kind regards
Rafael Krucker