[gdal-dev] GSoC'14

Dmitriy Baryshnikov bishop.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 13:22:54 PST 2014

Hi All,

Recently I received a reminder from Hamish. Quoted here:

    a reminder for any projects wishing to participate in OSGeo's Google
    Summer of Code 2014: we need your ideas pages up and
    fully QA'd ASAP! We submit our org application tomorrow, and it will
    be assessed by Google early next week. They've repeatedly stated that
    the ideas pages are amongst the most important thing they look at, and
    the previous good-stead orgs have been rejected due to slack ideas
    pages.

    So far we only have links to ideas from GRASS, QGIS, pgRouting, and
    PyWPS. Last year we had 13 more projects than that involved, so I
    know there are more of you out there!

    Also Google wishes to know ahead of time how many mentors we have
    lined up to help, so please add mentor names and how-to-contact info
    to each idea in your ideas pages where you can, &/or say hello on this
    list or the publicsoc at lists.osgeo.org  one.

    thanks,
    Hamish & the OSGeo GSoC 2014 admin team

I upgrade GSoC page in WiKi: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode

We need some new ideas and mentors/co-mentors. It seems to me this is
very urgent.
Maybe some activity in melange needed.

Also Hamish wrote:

    thanks, GDAL is now listed on the main osgeo ideas list. Could you ask
    the GDAL team to perhaps add some more details to the individual
    ideas? One sentence really isn't enough:

    http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/

    """
    Making Your Ideas Page

    It all begins with the "Ideas Page". This is where you compile a list
    of possible summer projects for your organization. The Ideas Page is a
    major piece of your organization's application to Google. It also
    serves as a recruiting and selection tool for students and mentors
    alike.

    Depending on how your organization operates, the source of material
    for your Ideas Page may come from an existing list of projects
    maintained by your community year-round, from potential mentors as
    they are recruited, or from the org admin. Regardless of how it is
    generated, an Ideas Page should have the following:

    * Brief descriptions of projects that can be completed in about 12 weeks.
    * For each project, a list of prerequisites, description of
    programming skills needed and estimation of difficulty level.
    * A list of potential mentors.

    The best pages include links to more detailed descriptions and related
    materials for each project. They might even include actual use cases!

    Keep in mind that this page is often the first view of your
    organization by Google and potential student applicants. A link to
    your bug tracker does not an Ideas Page make. Put your best foot
    forward. In addition to a basic list, you might also consider
    providing links to relevant resources for mentors and students,
    particular FAQ entries, the timeline, etc. You might include a section
    on communication, giving specific advice on which mailing lists,
    channels and emails to use and how to use them. If your organization
    puts together an application template for students, you should include
    that on your page as well. Think of your Ideas Page as the GSoC portal
    to your organization.
    """

     Dmitry