[gdal-dev] R bindings

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 14 01:06:33 PST 2014

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> Le jeudi 13 février 2014 22:17:40, Tim Keitt a écrit :
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Tim Keitt <tkeitt <at> utexas.edu> wrote:
> > > I've been updating my R bindings to GDAL/OGR. The repo is at
> > > https://github.com/thk686/rgdal2.
> > >
> > > There is still lots to do and this might make a good GSOC project.
> >
> > In case there is any confusion (I've received one such email), I should
> > mention that I am the original author of the current rgdal package on CRAN
> > and this is a long-overdue rewrite that covers much of OGR as well.
>
> Tim,
>
> You might want to update information on
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInR

Even,

It is fair to say that Tim's rgdal2 could be to rgdal as GDAL 2.0 is to GDAL
1.*, so rgdal in its present form isn't being replaced, but isn't going to
receive development effort other than keeping it running - too many things
depend on it. I've just posted some points on R-sig-geo:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2014-February/020409.html

summarised as points and questions to Tim:

Your choice of Rcpp is one that the extension of R to include reference
classes recently, provoked by Rcpp, makes possible and attractive.

Would you prefer to use this list for postings with regard to rgdal2, or
gdal-dev, the wiki on the github repository, or some alternative?

Would you consider perhaps aligning rgdal2 with GDAL 2.0, rather than the
GDAL 1.* series?

This would give rgdal2 the advantage of being ready when GDAL 2 is ready,
and puts GDAL 1.* and rgdal in "maintenance mode" while GDAL 1.* is still
with us.

Roger