[gdal-dev] Bigger file size from 64-bit than 32-bit

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jan 16 06:20:17 PST 2014

Hi Jukka,

> Hi,
>
> What could be the reason that Windows 64-bit gdal_translate makes many times
> bigger jpeg compressed tiff files than 32-bit build? I have not made a
> thorough analysis but I feel that this happens only with B/W images.
>
> My command is simple
> gdal_translate -of GTiff -co tiled=yes -co compress=jpeg
> FLPIS_K003412.jp2 64bit.tif
>
> Samples can be downloaded from
>
> http://latuviitta.org/downloads/FLPIS_K003412.jp2 (18 MB, original JP2)
> http://latuviitta.org/downloads/gdal_translate_32bit.TIF (9.6 MB)
> http://latuviitta.org/downloads/gdal_translate_64bit.tif (57 MB)

--> ouch ! I fail to see any reason why the on-disk format would be affected by
32 vs 64 bit. You could run "tiffdump" on the generated images to see the offset
and size of the tiles. What is surprising is that the 32 bit JPEG TIF is smaller
than the original JP2. Does it display correctly ?
Does gdalinfo -checksum return the same values ?

> Builds I use are specially made by Tamas and I can ask for details if
> someone gives a hint about what to ask.

--> Do you mean custom builds, and not the standard ones available on
gisinternals ? If they are custom, do you reproduce with the standard ones ?