[gdal-dev] Fast Pixel Access

David Baker (Geoscience) david.m.baker at chk.com
Fri Jan 31 08:15:53 PST 2014

Dev's,

I have a set of 55,501 bil files in a single directory.  They are DEMS data that cover the US in 7.5 minute tiles.  I would like to randomly access elevations at a given lat/lon's from the whole dataset.  I created a vrt file from the directory of bil files, and have been able to access the elevation at a given lat/lon using gdallocationinfo, but because of the size of the dataset, this operation is somewhat slow.  Can the vrt be indexed? Or, is there a faster, better way to access the pixels?  I would first like to do this with the utilities before diving into code (C#).  The files are regularly named base on their location within a 1 arc-second grid.

Thanks,
David

David M. Baker
Senior Advisor - Geoscience Technology
Chesapeake Energy Corporation
david.m.baker at chk.com<mailto:david.m.baker at chk.com>

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).