[gdal-dev] GeoPDF fails despite poppler/godofo

John W. Glendening glendening at drjack.net
Wed Jul 2 09:39:02 PDT 2014

I am unable to get a GDAL 1.11.0 build to recognize any GeoPDF I have
obtained from the USGS, despite having configured with poppler and
podofo, both separately and together.  Running
  usr/local/bin/gdalinfo CA_Rana_Creek_20120306_TM_geo.pdf
gives
 ERROR 4: `CA_Rana_Creek_20120306_TM_geo.pdf' not recognised as a
supported file format.
Otherwise GDAL utilities seem to run without problems.
Output from  "/usr/local/bin/gdalinfo --formats" includes "PDF (rw):
Geospatial PDF"

Details are: Ubuntu 14.04, separately built GDAL 1.11.0
after using apt-get to get Ubuntu version of poppler and podofo. (I also
installed
the Ubuntu version of GDAL, for which /usr/bin/gdalinfo gave the same
result.)
The config.log (for --with-poppler) includes statements
  configure:27673: checking for poppler
  configure:27744: checking if we have Poppler >= 0.20.0
  configure:27755: checking if we have Poppler >= 0.23.0
  HAVE_POPPLER='yes'
  LIBS='-lpoppler -lexpat -lnetcdf -lmfhdfalt -ldfalt -ljpeg -ltiff
-lpng -lz -lpthread -lm -lrt -ldl '
  POPPLER_0_20_OR_LATER='yes'
  POPPLER_0_23_OR_LATER='yes'
  POPPLER_BASE_STREAM_HAS_TWO_ARGS='yes'
  POPPLER_HAS_OPTCONTENT='yes'
  POPPLER_INC='-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/poppler'

I'm at a loss to figure out how to get GDAL to recognize/use the
GeoPDFs (my intent is to create GeoTiffs from them using
gdal_translate), since on-line search finds that failure to include
poppler or podofo is generally the reason for a "ERROR 4" result -
but that is not the case here.

Jack