[gdal-dev] CartoDB driver fail because drop sequence sentence fails

Jorge Arevalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Thu Mar 6 09:45:50 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new table in CartoDB using the GDAL CartoDB
driver and Python bindings. I'm getting a HTTP 400 error.

This is the source code:

from osgeo import ogr
from osgeo import gdal

gdal.SetConfigOption("CARTODB_API_KEY", MY_API_KEY)
drv = ogr.GetDriverByName("CartoDB")
cartodb_ds = drv.Open('cartodb:%s' % MY_ACCOUNT_NAME, update=1)
if cartodb_ds is None:
    print 'Cannot open CartoDB connection for writing'

cartodb_layer = cartodb_ds.CreateLayer('my_layer',
geom_type=ogr.wkbMultiPolygon)

Activating debug, this is what the driver sends to CartoDB:

q=CREATE TABLE "my_layer" ( cartodb_id SERIAL, the_geom
GEOMETRY(MULTIPOLYGON, 0), the_geom_webmercator GEOMETRY(MULTIPOLYGON,
3857),PRIMARY KEY (cartodb_id) );DROP SEQUENCE IF EXISTS
"my_layer_cartodb_id_seq";CREATE SEQUENCE "my_layer_cartodb_id_seq"
START 1;ALTER TABLE my_layer ALTER COLUMN cartodb_id SET DEFAULT
nextval('my_layer_cartodb_id_seq')&api_key=1f1464a7f041a39568046b858af425abab4fefc6

And the response error message (HTTP error 400):

CARTODB: RunSQL Response:{"error":["cannot drop sequence
my_layer_cartodb_id_seq because other objects depend on it"]}

If I get rid of all the SQL after the create table sentence itself, it
works, and the table is created. I guess I could modify the driver to
avoid this, but I'd like to know if someone is using it and having
this problem.

BTW, the tables created via SQL API don't appear in the CartoDB
dashboard, but this is a known issue (
https://github.com/CartoDB/cartodb/issues/115)

Jorge Arevalo
Freelance developer